3.11.2005

a Dream?

I was on the edge of dreaming...clinging, somewhere, on a spider-silk thin strand above the murky boiling depths, the yellow halogen light shining above me and illuminating the silk.

I felt the rumble in my dreamflesh long before I heard it. A train was coming.

Suddenly, it was the scream of my sister and my head snapped forward, every bone from my occiput to my eye sockets fracturing and shifting like broken glass, then melding back together in a molten haze of pain. Sighttastefeel of a thick metal beam floating somewhere in the proximity of my head, just drifting off as if it had taken my surprise with it in the impact and a last shimmering view of a flourescently green-tinted subway concrete, littered with pebbly debris. The light tasted like my surprise as my face hit the floor.

The dream ran from me with the speed of a guilty murderer. My bewilderment did not fade as I went conscious.

I awoke on my knees, head rolled on a pillow just below my shoulders, curled physically from the blow I had recieved. Intense dizziness assaulted me, my head throbbing off-beat to my heart. I groaned and rolled onto my back, looking for the offending object I had no doubt bumped into during my dreams.

I was in the middle of my futon mattress, away from all the sharp wooden edges and smooth metal poles.


It was altogether too fitting, like something that had waited in my subconscious for all that time.

Just as the ancients had conquered their dreams, so too, I felt, could I. The trauma, the weakness I felt after the dream gave me the will and the way to defend my mind. I would build walls and rein in the ever wakening mind inside me.

So I pledged, before retiring for the night. How surprised was I to find my other me had his own ideas.

When I closed my eyes, a wolf opened its own. I watched as it trotted out of its den. I more than watched. I felt the loam under my paws.

Dreamwolf. How long have you been there?

But wait. How long have I been here?

Wolfdream.

Those eyes open every time I close mine.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home